Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Remember the Salad Bar? Dandelion Green does.

Saturday night before the Super Bowl (let's not even get into THAT subject) I was craving steak au poivre and we were lazy so went down the road to the Dandelion Green. This is part of the small Barnsider chain that STILL has a salad bar yes, I said salad bar - and a GREAT one at that.
http://www.barnsiderrestaurants.com/3dandgrn/index.html
Their salad bar is great because it is full of extremely fresh and high quality veggies along with good cheese and salad toppings (croutons, raisins, etc) and that's it. No crappy pasta salads or weird protein sources - just good stuff to make a salad out of. And their dressings are delicious.
Anyway, we waited a few minutes in the lounge for our table. While sipping wine we nibbled on the self-service snacks. This takes me back to date night. I love the pub cheese and crackers. They added a snack mix to the complimentary lounge snacks that has corn nuts in it. I love corn nuts. I was happy to stay there and munch while waiting for our table.
I ordered what we went there for and Rolfe got a 'special' of rack of veal. Another throw-back here is that entrees include the salad bar and choice of starch. We ordered a veggie side of butternut squash. (this was absolutely decadent and wonderful). My steak au poivre was to die for and Rolfe liked the veal rack. I don't eat veal - but I tasted it and seemed okay. The herb rub and sauce were really good. We pigged out on the salad bar first.
I can't decide whether I like this location or the ones in Danvers (Hardcover) or Beverly (Depot). I even went to the Albany location once years ago while traveling on business. I do like this - simple, fresh and tasty.

No comments: