Monday, January 28, 2008

More Gourmet in the Burbs - Summer/Winter

I heard the guys from Arrows in Ogunquit were opening a place in Burlington. Then we met this guy at a cocktail making class as Stir last summer who was going to bar tend at this new restaurant in Burlington that had their own greenhouse and a commitment to using fresh, local ingredients. I was happy to find out that they were one and the same. They opened in November and we finally made it last Saturday. It is called Summer Winter and is in fact located in the Marriott Hotel in Burlington. Don't be a location snob. This place is easily accessible - close to the mall and RT 95.
http://www.summerwinterrestaurant.com/index.cfm
They have fancy cocktails make with fresh fruit, herbs and spices. I had a Blackberry Nightshade. It went right to my head and tasted sweet and tart. Rolfe had something that tasted like gingerbread. I loved, he said it got too cloying half way through. I am looking forward to trying other concoctions next time. We were doing wine with dinner so nixed another cocktail.
The space is beautiful (bar and dining areas) and comfortable. The kitchen is open so you watch what's coming and going. Makes it tough to pick. They have great list of appetizer and small plates(of which you can combine a few and make a 'picnic' basket)
I started with the Blue Cheese soup. (who knew Massachusetts made blue cheese - Great Hill I think) Rolfe got some butternut squash ravioli that was to die for. It some fancy Italian name that must of meant ravioli. The saucing and presentation was outstanding. Fussy Rolfe deemed this the 'best' butternut squash ravs he's ever had. I agree.
The soup was rich and think - something I would have again. They really pay attention to detail here and the waitstaff is extremely knowledgeable. My entree of cedar plank sea bass was fresh and tasted of the sea (and fresh herbs) and Rolfe's short ribs with corn pudding was comfort food that had that 'something' that it made it special.
Overall, this place is worth the slightly big ticket for the burbs and will even more popular once people venture out of the city. I will return many times.

No comments: