Thursday, January 24, 2008

Nebo - Pizzeria

http://www.neborestaurant.com/



So, before last night's Celtics game we decided to try Nebo (my husband wanted pizza for his birthday). This place is beautiful - nice bar and bartenders. Both owners were there last night and greeting regulars. I started with a key lime pie martini and Rolfe had a Blue Moon. My drink was a real martini, not the loli-pop variety you get at other places. We were excited to see how the food would turn out given the attention to detail that the bar exhibits as well as the wonderful aroma of garlic and tomato lofting from the open kitchen.

We got the ribs as an appetizer and ordered two pizzas (individual sized) - he got the traditional (read:boring, albeit with caramelized onions as an extra) and I got the white clam. Rolfe asked for his to be 'well done'. The ribs were tasty, if not a bit scant for 18 bucks. I would suggest a few minutes under the fire to caramelize the bbq sauce. It was loose and ran off the ribs onto the plate when you picked them up. I would have wanted more if I ordered this as an entree. It was listed under the carne section not the appetizer section. So overall - it was not worth the price tag.


As the pizzas arrived I was looking forward to tasty, crispy and delicious. It was tasty, chewy and way too oily. You don't need to put more oil on a pizza with full fat cheese. I enjoyed the clam pizza although there were not enough clams and way too much oil for my liking. I like a crust with some chew but this was a little over the top and kind of tasteless dough. My husband was disappointed with his pizza for the same reasons. Additionally, it wasn't well done and he thought the sauce and crust could have more flavor. I think we are spoiled by coal or wood fired pizza. I am not sure how these are cooked but they definitely lack that special char that we like. The most telling comment after woofing everything down, was 'we make better pizza'. Note: we did woof everything down so it wasn't all that bad.


Overall - a bit overrated and overpriced. The pre-game crowd and after work gang mingled together to make this a good meet up, have a drink or two and snack type of place. If you really want to go out for traditional style - stick with Regina's or gourmet (I'd rather have Figs).



No comments: