Monday, January 28, 2008

Soul Food for a non-football Sunday

What to do on the empty Sunday between the AFC Championship and the defining moment of the Patriots utter domination of world (Super Bowl)? Go buy new running shoes at the New Balance outlet in Brighton and then go have some home cooked BBQ at Soul Fire in Allston. http://www.soulfirebbq.com/
It was our first time to Soul Fire. The place is small and clean. They have the worst and best beers in the cooler (from Schlitz to Magic Hat). They also have PBR, Harpoon and Sam on tap. Rolfe was all over the PBR while I decided to go with UFO (love that unfiltered wheat). We sampled the corn dogs while waiting on some bbq. The corn coating/batter was light and tasty and it came with a bbq mustard dipping sauce. We really like these. Would get them again.
For lunch I had the 'Reuben' with a side of collards. It was made with their brisket, bbq sauce, cole slaw and swiss. It was heaven in a grilled rye sandwich. I heard some people claim that Soul Fire has the best collards. I agree. They are the fattening variety (you know what I mean if you eat collards) but worth every calorie. I tasted everything from Rolfe's platter of baby back/pulled pork with mac-n-cheese, fries and corn bread. The meat was nicely smoked and dry rubbed. There are several sauce choices to accompany your meat. All excellent, especially their own regular bbq. I must say that all sides sampled (including the corn bread) were way above average. You can tell this place really takes bbq seriously. The meat is smokey but not too much that you taste it for hours later. The brisket in my sandwich had that perfect smoke ring. I am looking forward to post-Super Bowl Sundays to enjoy more Soul Fire BBQ. I figure this place would be really crowed and full of young Allstonians most nights. I'll take the quiet lazy Sundays.

No comments: